Natto is not just for rice!
Ever heard of natto? They say that real Japanese eat natto. In anime and manga, you would see that there are characters who constantly eat natto or subsist on it. As they say, even just a spoon of natto will go a long way with rice. It is something that is actually served for breakfast. It could also be a condiment, it depends on you.
What is natto?
For the unitiated, natto is fermented soybean. It is likened to blue cheese because of its flavor. It is sticky and you might see that when you get it with your spoon or chopsticks, it has a spider web-like paste. (If you have eaten mozarella cheese sticks, that might be something similar to the web-like paste.) It usually comes in small packages which includes the mustard and tare sauce. If you do not have the sauce, try using soy sauce.
Health benefits of eating natto
- Nattokinase is good for enhancing the circulation of blood.
- Smooth skin thanks to the sticky substance of natto which has polyglutamic acid.
- Stronger bones. Natto has calcium and Vitamin K2, something not usually seen in common food.
- Natto is also good for preventing constipation.
- Neutral fat and cholesterol will be inhibited.
- Natto is also said to prevent the following: dementia, impaired liver action, menopausal disorder,diabetes, allergies, cold and flu.
With these health benefits and more, no wonder the Japanese are quite known for their long lifespans. There really is something about their diet, now that you have seen these bits of information on natto. You could even prepare natto. Do it yourself so that you could understand it further, if you want to truly study natto and its health benefits.